Angelina is a little mouse who wants nothing more than to be a ballerina. She dances all the time—at home, at school, even in her dreams! In fact, she’s so busy dancing that she forgets all about the other things she’s supposed to do, like cleaning her room and joining her family for breakfast! Her parents don’t know what to do—especially after her arabesques in the kitchen knock over the milk! Then one day they come up with an idea that will change Angelina’s life forever.
1.WATCH and LISTEN to Katharine Holabird read aloud from the very first book in her Angelina Ballerina series for Simon Kids:
2. You can do The Animal Boogie by Debbie Harter and Barefoot Books:
3. Katharine Holabird has downloadable activities on her website. You can learn ballet positions, color a magic wand, do a word search, and more!
4. Click here for Miss Anne’s “B for Ballerina” coloring sheet from Teachers Pay Teachers.
5. There are lots of ballerina crafts out there that can be fancy or simplified. One easy way to simplify a craft is to print out a coloring sheet. After coloring in your ballerina (but not her tutu), you can use scraps of colorful tissue paper – or even paper cut from magazines – to make a 3D tutu. Click here for an example.
6. Want more dance books? Find some of Miss Anne’s favorites on Overdrive:
- Ballet Stars (Step Into Reading, 1) by Jane Holub
- Dancing Feet by Lindsey Craig
- Giraffes Can’t Dance by Giles Andrae (animated)
- Mr. Putter & Tabby Dance the Dance by Cynthia Rylant